Antique Bakery Volume 1

Written by Fumi Yoshinaga
Illustrated by Fumi Yoshinaga
DMP

I have to admit, I was getting a little bored with the tried and true trope of unrequited gay manga love. I'd really like to see the library branch out a bit from this, as I'm sure there's a lot of good new manga out there that don't have that as a plot.

Still, if treated a bit differently, the idea still has some life in it...

While this starts out with the familiar tune of a gay school student and his straight love, then follows it up with an apparent wanna-be lesbian and her straight former school mate, we know we're in for a change when the supposed lesbian announces she has to get back to her husband and kids.

Yay for doing something different!

The rest of the story is about a bakery in an old antiques store, its owner (the reluctant server), and his two employees, a gay cook with a fear of women (and a magnet for guys) and a former boxer with an obsession for pastries.

They don't really get along, but the store does well enough, and we learn that there's more to their roles than initially meets the eye.

My only issue with this is that it starts as something that it's not and the humour takes a bit long to get to the reader. I expect I'll enjoy Volume 2 a lot more than 1, now that we know what's going on.